28 January 2015

Fashion That Changed The World.


Marie Antoinette, Kate Moss, Coco Chanel. Not a group of names you would usually see together but in the world of fashion there they are, all together and rightly so. These three women, along with many other women, and men, have each made their mark on the fashion industry we see today. 

Whilst shopping I always like to have a look at the books in Urban Outfitters as they are always so quirky. I'm not one for novels and get bored if I'm not hooked straight away. This particular book caught my eye due to the title and because as you can see, it has the ever so stunning Audrey Hepburn on the front. A true beauty. I turned it over to read the blurb and upon reading it I knew I had to buy it. I love history and fashion and like to know "why" to absolutely everything.


Sitting in the passenger seat of my boyfriends car, I immediately got the book out and began to read. By the end of the first paragraph I was hooked. "Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy / but not expressed in fancy-rich, not gaudy / for the apparel oft proclaims the man" which roughly translates as - dress well, because people are going to judge you for it. Shakespeare wrote this 400 years ago proving that even before the likes of instagram and blogs, the way we dressed was still a crucial part of life. 


If you know me you will know I am a huge fan of people watching. I love seeing the clothes, shoes, accessories, hair and makeup choices people have made. The way we dress is a way of saying who we are without having to speak. Even if you aren't in to fashion the clothes you choose to wear still say so much about you.


Fashion portrays many characteristics and emotions and you can completely recreate yourself in others eyes through the clothes you choose. The way each individual styles new fashions and trends is what really speaks to me. Fashion isn't just about shopping and fitting in, it's about creating something unique and standing out.


Fashion That Changed The World by Jennifer Croll takes you through time looking at social, economical and cultural factors that effected the course of fashion. From Queens to Supermodels this book gives you a snapshot of what we used to wear and why we choose the clothes we do today.  Broken down into chapters with wonderful images throughout, this £14.99 book is perfect for anyone who loves fashion and likes to ask "why". It's been a brilliant read and I highly recommend it.


Here are some more books I hope to purchase soon: Why Fashion Matters by Francis Corner, Champagne Supernovas: Kate Moss, Marc Jacobs, Alexander McQueen by Maureen Callahan and En Brogue: Love Shoes, Hate Heels by Hannah Rochell.

If you've read any of these books I'd love to hear what you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment