2 February 2015

Frugal February.


Today I was browsing twitter and came across a post about Frugal February. For those of you who have never heard of it before, the idea behind Frugal February is to try and adopt as many money saving ideas as you can during the month, by eliminating all non-essential spending. It's a fantastic way to recover after Christmas and New Year.

Now, I have a holiday to pay off this month so I immediately knew that this was something I should participate in. However, I have a friend coming up at the weekend and we have of course made lots of plans to go out as we only get to see each other every couple of months. But why should that mean excessive, non-essential spending? I can go without dessert at a restaurant, I can substitute coke for water, I can cook rather than ordering a takeaway and just because she will be buying new clothes and make-up it doesn't mean I have to.

So if you hadn't already guessed, my main issue when it comes to trying to save money is that I just love to shop. If I see something I want, I buy it. It'a as simple as that. But not this month. Instead I've raided my draws, wardrobes and cupboards and pulled out everything with a label still attached and anything that has hardly been worn. There is a lot, but I'm going to make it my mission to wear them. My hard earned cash will not be wasted.

Upon rummaging through my belongings, both old and new, I found things I forgot I even owned. In the top picture are just a few of my favourite forgotton finds - Topshop Ballet Pumps, worn once. Next Heels, worn once. Clarks Shoe Boots, worn twice, Missguided Boots, worn once. Silver Ring, worn twice. Purple Topshop Dress, unworn. Lace Ark Dress, worn once. Dorothy Perkins Clutch, unworn. French Connection Purse, unused. Selection of Perfumes, used rarely.

The one item in particular that got me very excited is the black and red lace dress from Ark. I love the colour, neck line and the fit but no longer like the midi length. My solution? I'm going to take it up to just above the knee. 

Along with shopping, I also spend a lot of money on food. So that is going to be the other big spend I put a halt to this month. Frugal February is definitely going to test my will power, but I think it will be such a good thing for me to do, as well as saving some pounds I may shed a few Christmas pounds along the way.


It's been great to declutter and see that I do sometimes buy things I have enough of, such as perfume, dresses and shoes.

I know this won't be easy, but who's joining me?



No comments:

Post a Comment